Sunday, December 19, 2010

The St. Louis theatre calendar for the week of December 20, 2010

[Updated Thursday, December 23, 2010]

[Looking for auditions and other artistic opportunities? Check out the St. Louis Auditions site.]

I'm now adding my own purely personal comments to events about which I think I have anything worthwhile to say. Because that's what bloggers do.

Holidaze
The Fox Theatre presents Cirque Dreams Holidaze, a circus-based holiday musical, December 21 through 29. The Fox is at 527 North Grand in Grand Center. For more information, call 314-534-1678. Don't be misled by the title, by the way. Florida-based franchise Cirque Dreams has no connection with Cirque de Soleil. Reviewing their Jungle Fantasy show last year, I described it as (to paraphrase J. Michael Straczynski) little more than Cirque du Soleil with the serial numbers filed off. Your mileage may vary.

Everydaycircus Inc. performs shows hourly from 11 AM to 4 PM each weekend at City Museum, 701 N. 15th St. Shows are FREE with regular museum admission. (645-4445 or 231-CITY).

"Last of the Red Hot Mamas";
photo by John Lamb
New Jewish Theatre presents The Last Of The Red Hot Mamas, based on the life of Sophie Tucker, Wednesdays and Thursdays at 7:30 PM, Saturdays at 8 PM, and Sundays at 2 and 7:30 PM through December 26. Performances take place at the Marvin and Harlene Wool Studio Theatre at the JCCA, 2 Millstone Campus Drive. For more information, call 314-442-3283. I just got back from seeing this and all I can say is: wow. Just wow. OK, I can also say congratulations to Christy Simmons for a spectacular performance in an incredibly demanding role as Sophie and also to every other member of this terrific cast. And what great songs! I thought I knew this period well but there were numbers here that were new to me. I love it when that happens.

"Over the Tavern"
© Photo by Jerry Naunheim Jr.
The Repertory Theatre of St. Louis presents the comedy Over the Tavern Tuesdays through Sundays through December 26. Performances take place at the Loretto-Hlton Center, 130 Edgar Road in Webster Groves, MO. For more information, call 314-968-4925. The show boats a terriffic cast. The script's darker corners reminded me of why the Catholic Church and I parted company decades ago, but given the excessive doses of sugar in most staged holiday treats, I find the twist of lemon in Dudzick's script to be welcome.

No comments: